If sexual harassment is defined as "unwelcome attention," then possession may be defined as "unwelcome intrusion of interference by a spirit into one's thoughts, will and/or body."
Anyone can be a victim of evil spirits or demonic possession. Even very religious and prayerful persons have been known to be possessed.
Modern western psychology and psychiatry do not consider demonic possession to be a clinical reality. However, more enlightened practitioners and researchers now feel that certain types of psychosis (such as schizophrenia), or any sudden or radical change in behavior, can be signs of spirit possession.
What kinds of spirits do this? Why do they possess the living? What is their purpose?
This is how Brad Steiger, a well-known prolific American psychic researcher and author explains it:
"Current modalities of the universe maintain that energy can never be destroyed. Therefore, it is reasoned, even though we may discard our bodies at death, the Soul energy that we have created during our lifetime exists even after we have died. At death, this psychic energy force separates itself from the body and begins a new existence on the spirit level.
"A number of parapsychologists have declared that there may be very little difference between the two worlds. The electromagnetic structure of the soul continues to have the same habits, thoughts, memories, feelings and flaws as existing in the physical plane.
"Thus, if a person has spent his entire existence in pursuit of pleasure, the psychic soul personality will experience the same mediumistic drives after death. He will attempt to return to all his old, pleasurable places.
"Think of the tremendous, unresolved shock when someone dies unexpectedly and enters the spirit world. And if there were additional negative factors, such as a feud left unsettled, an old score left unpaid, an argument left unresolved, then that spirit might hunger to return to the physical world and obtain vengeance."
Such a negative and earthbound spirit may seek to attach itself to a susceptible person and make him or her do things unnatural to and against his or her will. Such spirits become parasites.
Signs of Spirit Possession
Any or a combination of the following behavior pattern is indicative of spirit or demonic possession:
- Hearing voices directing the person to perform acts he may not have considered doing.
- He or she will frequently see or sense the image of the possessing spirit as it existed in its physical life.
- The victim may blackout or faint without knowing what transpired during that time.
- Sometimes, in the midst of a conversation, he may have a mental block and act in a trance-like manner.
- He may be observed talking or walking differently or acting in a strange, irrational manner.
- He may act in a way he has never done before. His friends may see him as a totally different person.
- In a worst scenario, the possession may reach a climax where the person may commit a crime, some violent or anti-social act and even suicide.
- He or she may speak in tongues, and perform lewd acts and avoid religious objects (like a crucifix, rosary, etc.)
According to another researcher, clinical psychologist Edith Fiore, author of The Unquiet Dead, over 50 percent of those confined in mental hospitals in the United States are not insane but victims of spirit possession. I wonder what would be the estimated percentage in Philippine hospitals. Considering our people's greater sensitivity to spirit forces and poor diagnostic procedures, perhaps the percentage of possessed individuals confined in mental hospitals here is greater.
[1. Seven-minute interview: Youtube.Com ]
- Have a positive, cheerful attitude. Since on the mental and spirit plane "like attracts like," a positive attitude will attract positive and benign spirits to you.
- Maintain harmony and balance in your mind, body and spirit. Keep your emotional side especially in check and not prone to outbursts of anger.
- Avoid being in the company of highly negative people or going to negative places. Negative individuals can sap your energy and drain you, thereby making spirit possession easier. The same in places with negative or earthbound spirits, for example, hospitals, cemeteries, wakes or haunted houses.
- Remember you have free will. You are the master of your own life and destiny. Do not allow another entity to conquer or over-power your will. Remember even God respects our will and will not do anything to go against it. Only evil spirits try to overpower our will. Do not succumb to such attempts. Assert your will over any other entity and command it to "Begone!"
- Carry protective or sacred objects with you. If you are a Christian, you may carry with you some powerful religious objects that you believe in. For example, St. Benedict's medal, which was specially charged or blessed by an authorized Benedictine Priest, can help protect you against demonic possession. If you believe in quartz crystals or amulets, have one specially blessed or charged by a competent person to protect you.
- Practice discernment. If an evil spirit is present, you can sense this. Your body will react in a different way compared to the presence of a good spirit. Learn to distinguish them. Discernment is one of the gifts of the Holy Spirit according to St. Paul.