1. For there are some eunuchs, which were so born from their mother's womb; there are some eunuchs of men; and there be eunuchs, which made themselves eunuchs for the kingdom of heaven's sake. He that is able to receive let him receive. -- Jesus Christ (Math. xix. 12)
2. "Do not say that you have a chaste mind if your eyes are unchaste, because an unchaste eye betrays an unchaste heart." -- St. Augustine
Quotes by Sri Adi Sankaracharya
1. Brahmacharya or spotless chastity is the best of all penances; a celibate of such spotless chastity is not a human being, but a god indeed. To the celibate who practises unbroken brahmacharya, what is there unattainable in this world? By the power of the unbroken brahmacharya, one will become just like myself.
2. In his celebrated work "Vivekachudamani," [1, 2] Sri Sankaracharya, one of the brightest stars in the philosophical and religious firmament of India, has this advice for spiritual aspirants: "If, indeed, thou hast a craving for liberation, shun sense-objects from a good distance as thou wouldst do poison, and always cultivate carefully the nectar-like virtues of contentment, compassion, forgiveness, straight-forwardness, calmness and self-control."
[1. Crest Jewel of Wisdom en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vivekachudamani ]
[2. Online text at theosociety.org/pasadena/ ]
Quotes by Dadasri
(an enlightened sage from Gujarat)
1. The presence of brahmacharya in the mind, the body and the speech results in wonderful power of mind, wonderful power of body and wonderful power of the speech.
2. If ever there is an occasion for a severe testing of your resolve of brahmacharya, if there is strong sexual attraction and inclination, then one should fast two to three times. When the force of unfolding karma is very strong, fasting can stop them. Fasting does not destroy these sexual passions completely
3. After attaining the bliss of the Self , the pleasures of sex become and redundant, just as a cup of tea looses its sweetness after having had a sweet dessert. The higher the order of bliss the less appealing the routine of the physical aspects of sexual pleasures. The enjoyment of food is not prohibited. There is no good to be attained in the enjoyment of sexual impulses. Know that it is merely an aspect of imaginations.